Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Champion not the finish line

Champion is not the finish line - Ms Zhang Guofeng's told us her inner world.

After I have won the title of women's national champion of Xiangqi, the state of my mind has become complicated. I am feeling very happy and calm. What has made me feel happy is that my efforts in the past several years are now paid. However, I am not so exhilarated as I had expected, because the way ahead is still very long, and there are so many other champions that are waiting for me to take up challenges.

Thanks to my luck, I won the championships this time. I met Zhu Weiying (Shanghai) in the third game. When I was in an inferior position that I would definitely lose the game, Zhu committed a big blunder. This was a good chance for me that I never had in so many years. I thought that I must not let the chance slip away. In the subsequent games, I defeated Zhao Guanfang and Wang Linna and became the sole leader with 5.5 points. I played Guo Ruixia in the seventh game and thought I must win the game, as she was not so strong than other players as far as the experience and strength is concerned. In the middle of the game when I obtained a slight superiority, instead of playing steadily, I was so hasty in trying to win the game. In the end, I lost the game and had an equal point with Guo Ruixia.

After having lost the game, I was in a bad mood and locked myself in the room. I felt very awkward that for so many years, I missed the chance of winning the champion title. The main reason was psychology. I must be mentally well prepared. Otherwise, I couldn't win the title. I said to myself, "No matter how many points that I have got, I must play each game well. I have played all strong players in the previous rounds, the remaining games will be easy for me. What should I be afraid of, as I have obtained more game points than others?" Being mentally prepared, I defeated Zheng Chufang in the eighth game. In the ninth game, I met Guo Liping. When playing black, I should try to make a draw with her. However, in the middle of the game, I gained some initiative and had a thought of winning the game. But in the end, I lost it due to my hasty play. I met Hu Ming in the last round. If I can make a draw with her, I would be the champion of the tournament. My experience in this championship has taught me that I must refrain from playing hastily in the future national individual championships.

Some people said, most games that I have played are either wins or loses, and only a few games are draws. This is not because that I don't know how to make a draw, but because that I don't like to accept a draw, as it is my style of play. Even in some calm positions, I still can find a flaw in my opponent's position for launching an offensive. And some people said that Wang Linna's play is steady, but lacked strength. But I think that her play is of strength, while my play is more aggressive. I like to sow disorder and stir trouble even in some calm positions. However, sometimes I think Wang Linna's style of play is better than mine, as her performance is more stable. Regarding my performance, sometimes it is good, and sometimes it is poor.

I missed the chance of winning the title in the national championships in 1991. I thought, it was quite normal for me that I hadn't got the title, as I was still lagging behind in experience at that time. It was in 1997 that I began to possess the strength of winning the champion title. Thanks to the excellent environment of Jiangsu Xiangqi team, I received an intensive training in the past several years. Teacher Li always set a high standard demand on me.

Some people may ask if I have ever thought of marriage as I have already passed that age. But I think, I should take the Xiangqi play as my first priority. Wang Linna, Zhao Guanfang and Dang Guolei are all promising young players. If I don't keep on working harder in these two or three years, I would find it difficult to beat them in the future. As regard my marriage, let the fate be it is.



Source: 'Bulletin Xiangqi' of World Xiangqi Federation

No comments: